TSA has announced the new Junior National Squads for 2018. The announcement was made at the players dinner at the Growthpoint Junior Masters in Potchefstroom on Saturday evening.
The squads are divided into two focus areas – based on age:
National Squads for the U14, U16 & U18 age groups: 10 players per gender.
High Performance Development Squads for the U12 age group: 22 players per gender.
TSA Squads are not national teams – rather they are an identified group of players who will benefit from centralised high-performance initiatives & training camps. Furthermore, the door is not closed on players not selected – TSA will review the squads in six months time.
The full squads (in alphabetical order by surname):
Van Zyl Del Port
Willem de Waal
Jean du Toit
Lian du Toit
Stephan du Plooy
Stuart Van der Merwe
Luise Janse Van Rensburg
Donna Le Roux
Alma Van Schalkwyk
Corne Van Schalkwyk
Rune Van Wyk
Mari-Louse Van Zyl
Amlia Van Zyl
Heike Janse Van Vuuren
Lara Van der Merwe
The national selectors followed a clear process for selecting the squads:
– The TSA selection criteria framework (https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/Z7afgYbjQMiXZlOwIqfS) was used as guide for the process.
– A short-list of around 20-30 players was identified per age group & gender.
– The short-list was based on the players 2018 age group and their TSA ranking.
– TSA’s transformation policy was also taken into account.
– Player performance matrices were drafted for each short-listed player.
– Covering win/loss records, tournament performances etc.
– Critically – It was decided early on in the process that final squads would be a balance of both first year and second year players in each age group. This was to ensure continuity from 2018 to 2019.